Priscilla Kibbee

I love to travel all over the globe shopping for textiles to add to my wearable art. I have taught quilting to school children in Nepal, seminole patchwork to seamstresses in Thailand, and jackets and embellishment to quilters in Turkey where I also served as a judge at 2 of their International Quilt Shows. I have created garments for 5 Fairfield and Bernina Fashion Shows and teach classes on embellishment and wearable art. Lately I have been leaning more toward making art quilts.

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Trip to Oaxaca, Part Fourteen, The Textile Museum

I had been looking forward for some time to visiting the new (opened in 2008) Textile Museum in downtown Oaxaca in a beautifully restored old colonial building. I was quite disappointed to find that the textiles were all from Guatemala! I had expected older textiles from Mexico.
I found later that they don't focus on Mexican textiles, but have exhibitions of textiles from all over the world. Great for Oaxacans but not all that good for tourists.

And on top of that the rooms were dark (as usual in a textile museum) which made photo taking difficult.

Many pieces were contemporary and the type I usually see on my travels to Guatemala. This one however was beautifully embroidered and very striking.
Then there was a room full of work by a modern textile designer using Guatemalan textiles. I was not impressed. The ring above is huipils cut up and sewn around an inner tube.
I'll let you figure out this one.
Two huipils cut and sewn on something.

Back in the main collection...a huipil from Nebaj.
The small blanket on the left is worn around the waist by men in Solola, near Panajachel where I stay. They also carry the bags on the right. Contemporary clothing.
They teach dyeing and weaving at the museum and some recent dyed yarn was displayed in the back.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home