Priscilla Kibbee

I love to travel all over the globe shopping for textiles to add to my wearable art. I have taught quilting to school children in Nepal, seminole patchwork to seamstresses in Thailand, and jackets and embellishment to quilters in Turkey where I also served as a judge at 2 of their International Quilt Shows. I have created garments for 5 Fairfield and Bernina Fashion Shows and teach classes on embellishment and wearable art. Lately I have been leaning more toward making art quilts.

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Mola for Sale

I am still making an attempt to downsize my stash of molas . This is a particularly beautiful one of a boy on a bird, The writing is "Pequeno Nijs" or Little Nijs. I don't know what Nijs means other than a name. The Kuna tell their children that babies are brought into the world on the backs of animals such as this giant bird. The workmanship is fantastic. Note the detail and tiny stitches on the face. And the tiny appliqued triangles, and the ric rac like like trim under NIJS on the right. That is all applique.
There are even embroidered bows on the shoes. And note the beautiful embroidery via tiny tiny stitches all over the mola. I can't imagine how long that took.
The stripes on the wings are all fine applique. And the blue bows on his overalls are also appliqued.


SOLD

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home