Priscilla Kibbee

I love to travel all over the globe shopping for textiles to add to my wearable art. I have taught quilting to school children in Nepal, seminole patchwork to seamstresses in Thailand, and jackets and embellishment to quilters in Turkey where I also served as a judge at 2 of their International Quilt Shows. I have created garments for 5 Fairfield and Bernina Fashion Shows and teach classes on embellishment and wearable art. Lately I have been leaning more toward making art quilts.

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Masks, Masks, Masks Everywhere

I like masks almost as much as I like fabric and ethnic textiles. The problem is they are hard to transport home and I have long since run out of wall space for them. The black and white beauty in the center is a paper mache mask from Nepal. The small black and white on the lower left is also a paper mache from Nepal. Right beside the big one is an "evil eye" glass piece from Turkey...in case some of the masks have bad intentions. The beige clay on the lower left is from Mexico and the wooden fox on the right is from Ecuador. In my opinion some of the most beautiful wooden masks come from there. The wooden mask with the big tongue on the upper left is from Thailand. The black and white paper mache is from Nepal. The wooden fox from Ecuador as is the jaguar on its right. The wooden dragon is from Vietnam.
The black clay mask on top is from Mexico and the wooden mask below it from Ecuador.



This wooden beauty is from Oaxaca, Mexico, one of my favorite places. It was difficult buying this one as the artist kept packing and unpacking them daily as he went back and forth to the market and the noses were worn. He finally agreed to redo one for me.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home