Priscilla Kibbee

I love to travel all over the globe shopping for textiles to add to my wearable art. I have taught quilting to school children in Nepal, seminole patchwork to seamstresses in Thailand, and jackets and embellishment to quilters in Turkey where I also served as a judge at 2 of their International Quilt Shows. I have created garments for 5 Fairfield and Bernina Fashion Shows and teach classes on embellishment and wearable art. Lately I have been leaning more toward making art quilts.

Monday, July 13, 2009

Mola Tops

For several years I have been wearing summer tops made from rayon sarongs which I purchased in Southeast Asia. This year I decided to repeat the style, using some of the handwoven fabric which I purchased in Southeast Asia and decorating it with some of the molas which I have collected in Panama. I can wear them year round. As you see them in the summer, and over a long sleeved turtleneck shirt in the winter. This one is a wonderful indogo ikat. The mola is one I purchased two years ago from my guide on the San Blas Islands Orlando's daughter. This side celebrates the successful 1925 uprising of the Kuna against the Panamian government. The other side of the blouse has the mola from the other side of Orlando's daughter's blouse. This is one of the nicest molas I ever found, depicting Columbus's discovery of America.

Some hand woven purple ikat which i purchased in Nong Khai Thailand. The mola is an applique type made specifically for tourists. The Kuna do not wear this type and make them strictly for sale.


The other side of the shirt.




Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home