Priscilla Kibbee

I love to travel all over the globe shopping for textiles to add to my wearable art. I have taught quilting to school children in Nepal, seminole patchwork to seamstresses in Thailand, and jackets and embellishment to quilters in Turkey where I also served as a judge at 2 of their International Quilt Shows. I have created garments for 5 Fairfield and Bernina Fashion Shows and teach classes on embellishment and wearable art. Lately I have been leaning more toward making art quilts.

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Shopping in Hanoi Vietnam

Hanoi is one of my absolute favorite places to shop. The silk is wonderful and there is a whole street of so called Silk Shops. Real Vietnamese silk is really a mix of silk and rayon and I love the shimmer and patterns. While I love to wander around the "Silk Street" looking in the shops I usually do my serious silk shopping at the huge market on the north end of the Old Quarter. This is a cavernous place replacing a former market which burned in 1994. Its for the locals and you don't run into many tourists here. One of the shops has a huge collection of iridescent silks. Yum.

On weekends one of the long streets in the Old Quarter closes to traffic and is set up as a shopping street/market.


Its fun to wander around looking for something unusual and smelling the wonderful street food.


Luckily I timed this trip to miss the Tet holiday. The entire country closes down for several days after buying all sorts of neat stuff to celebrate with.






Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home