Priscilla Kibbee

I love to travel all over the globe shopping for textiles to add to my wearable art. I have taught quilting to school children in Nepal, seminole patchwork to seamstresses in Thailand, and jackets and embellishment to quilters in Turkey where I also served as a judge at 2 of their International Quilt Shows. I have created garments for 5 Fairfield and Bernina Fashion Shows and teach classes on embellishment and wearable art. Lately I have been leaning more toward making art quilts.

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The New Cow Jacket and Seminole Patchwork

After making jackets with tiger, zebra, geisha, frogs, halloween, chicken, and sewing ladies themes it was time to turn to another topic. Since I live in "farm country" the idea of a cow jacket came to mind. As it turned out cows are not very popular with fabric designers. Even dressed up with poppies and barns. They don't even seem to get more respect in groups.
Sometimes they look like they are having fun. Or do they just look worried? Its hard to tell. Cows aren't very emotional.
To "jazz up" my cow jacket I decided to add some seminole patchwork. I used to use a 1" scale patchwork but now have switched to 1 1/4" The 1 1/2 inch version seems too big for jackets to me.
I don't make my seminole in the traditional way which has "ripped" fabric instead of cut with a rotary cutter.
I sew the fabric in rows, cut the individual strips and then sew them back together. After finishing off the ends it is ready to sew into my garment.
I began making the red version for the cow jacket shown on the left. I quickly saw that it was "too red" and abandoned it for the moment. I then switched to a red/black/green version which I like much better for this project. With seminole you never know how it is going to turn out when you plan the strips. It is always a surprise.
I think I will just wait here until things calm down again.


Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home