Priscilla Kibbee

I love to travel all over the globe shopping for textiles to add to my wearable art. I have taught quilting to school children in Nepal, seminole patchwork to seamstresses in Thailand, and jackets and embellishment to quilters in Turkey where I also served as a judge at 2 of their International Quilt Shows. I have created garments for 5 Fairfield and Bernina Fashion Shows and teach classes on embellishment and wearable art. Lately I have been leaning more toward making art quilts.

Thursday, July 31, 2008

It Was Picture Framing Day

On Tuesday I sold almost 300 packs of buttons to a button dealer so I was feeling a bit flush with cash. And this week Joann's was having a 50% off sale. The planets seemed to be aligned for me so off I went for some frames. I used to have my pictures professionally framed and matted until the cost went up to over $100 each. As a consequence pictures have been piling up for several years unframed. These five frames cost $75 altogether. This is a wonderful steel engraving from the 1890's. I bought it perhaps 7 or 8 years ago in a box lot at an auction and its been awaiting framing since then. It came glassless and the mat was really banged up. It is amazing that there wasn't a scratch on the engraving.
I would have preferred a less glaring white mat but no matter. It is at least framed and matted. The original framer had glued it to the mat so I had to use mat and all in order to not ruin it. The original frame had hand forged tacks. The white spot is from my camera flash.
This is a wonderful painting of two mola women which i purchased from the artist on my trip to the San Blas Islands of Panama in May.
This is a wonderful painting given to me by two friends on our trip to Nepal last September.
This is a Chinese Folk Art painting of the grandmother making tiger hats and toys. I have a nice little collection of tiger toys which I purchased in China over the years.
This is a painting of Mahakala, one of the Tibetan Buddhist dieties often portrayed on the monastary walls and my favorite of their dieties. I purchased it in Nepal on my last trip.
Now all I have to do is find a space to hang them all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home