Priscilla Kibbee

I love to travel all over the globe shopping for textiles to add to my wearable art. I have taught quilting to school children in Nepal, seminole patchwork to seamstresses in Thailand, and jackets and embellishment to quilters in Turkey where I also served as a judge at 2 of their International Quilt Shows. I have created garments for 5 Fairfield and Bernina Fashion Shows and teach classes on embellishment and wearable art. Lately I have been leaning more toward making art quilts.

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Nepalese Embroideries

I have had a number of questions regarding the dragon embroideries and the scary face which I posted a few days ago. There are numerous tee shirt shops scattered around Thamel...the backpacker area of Kathmandu. They usually have a few shirts made up for sale but the usual process is to pick out a pattern, indicate the size and color of your shirt and wait a few days. On recent trips I have had the designs sewn onto fabric to use in clothing or quilts. This is a typical shop.
Note the treadle sewing machine. And the lack of heat in the shop on a chilly winter morning.
Note the treadle machine in the background and the men are leaning on another machine. There are no presser foots used on most of the embroidery. Some shops are so small that the designs are also displayed on the ceiling.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home