Priscilla Kibbee

I love to travel all over the globe shopping for textiles to add to my wearable art. I have taught quilting to school children in Nepal, seminole patchwork to seamstresses in Thailand, and jackets and embellishment to quilters in Turkey where I also served as a judge at 2 of their International Quilt Shows. I have created garments for 5 Fairfield and Bernina Fashion Shows and teach classes on embellishment and wearable art. Lately I have been leaning more toward making art quilts.

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Trip to India Jan-Feb-2013, Jaisalmer- A Jain Temple

 Then we stopped at a Jain Temple, right smack in the desert with no houses or other buildings in sight. 
 I was taking this tour around town with a really nice tuk tuk driver who spoke fair English and thought this might be a nice stop.
 Although Jains number less than 1% of the population my driver insisted that it was well visited.
 The Jains believe in ahimsa (non-violence) and follow a rigorous discipline to avoid harming all living substances.
 This includes humans, animals, plants, water, fire, earth and air.
 Like Hindus they believe in kharma and reincarmation.
 Jainism was founded by Mahavira in the 500's BC.

Worship in the temples consists of prayer and puja before images.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Sujata Shah said...

Your pictures are wonderful. I was there too not too long ago.
Your [pictures are fabulous. Makes me want to go back and visit those places all over again.

February 25, 2013 at 8:34 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home