Priscilla Kibbee

I love to travel all over the globe shopping for textiles to add to my wearable art. I have taught quilting to school children in Nepal, seminole patchwork to seamstresses in Thailand, and jackets and embellishment to quilters in Turkey where I also served as a judge at 2 of their International Quilt Shows. I have created garments for 5 Fairfield and Bernina Fashion Shows and teach classes on embellishment and wearable art. Lately I have been leaning more toward making art quilts.

Monday, February 13, 2012

Trip to Jodhpur, India- Jan-Feb.2012- First Days

Originally there were walls around the Old City of Jodhpur but now just the gates are left standing. This is the Sojati Gate.



Looking from the window in one of my favorite cafe's down on a shoe repair man



Four of my six students at the Payal Center where I was teaching sewing. They are from the Dalit caste---the Untouchables. They were warm, wonderful women with good sewing skills. I taught them three versions of simple jackets.


They mostly used pedal machines but had one electric. Unfortunately the electricity was off from 9am to llam or noon every day.


The first week there was a so called "Craft Fair" held at a local stadium at the edge of the city.


With a huge amusement area and very few crafts it reminded me more of the State Fair without the animals.


The huge Palace in the distance about two miles from my Guest House. In front of these low hills sqatters have been living in makeshift tents for years.


There was a huge school next to the Guest House and this vendor set up on the road every day.



A huge pile of chilies in the central market.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Sue Reno said...

Hi Priscilla, so happy to have discovered your blog. I have traveled in India extensively and love the country and the people. I am enjoying your posts and look forward to reading more about your adventures.

February 15, 2012 at 9:34 AM  
Blogger Priscilla Kibbee said...

Thanks Sue. I travel there frequently...at least once a year and can't wait to return every time.

February 15, 2012 at 1:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home