Priscilla Kibbee

I love to travel all over the globe shopping for textiles to add to my wearable art. I have taught quilting to school children in Nepal, seminole patchwork to seamstresses in Thailand, and jackets and embellishment to quilters in Turkey where I also served as a judge at 2 of their International Quilt Shows. I have created garments for 5 Fairfield and Bernina Fashion Shows and teach classes on embellishment and wearable art. Lately I have been leaning more toward making art quilts.

Friday, February 10, 2012

Trip to India - Jan-Feb-2012- Imperial Hotel Part 1

At noon, refreshed, I checked out and took a taxi to the gorgeous Imperial Hotel below Connaught Place on Janpath. I had wanted to stay here for years and had eaten here several times. When you pull up in the taxi under the entrance way an elegant doorman opens your door and says "Welcome Home". Built in the 30's and decorated in Art Deco, it is part luxury hotel, part museum and pure luxury. My room had a coffee maker and refrigerator of course. As well as a safe, fluffy bathrobes and huge bathtowels, and a shower I wanted to take home with me.





A goosedown comforter of course.




And hundreds of tv channels





A note on my table asked if I would like some fresh fruit, which was brought promptly by someone from housekeeping.





And fresh flowers in my bathroom of course.




Just the lounge area by the elevator on my second floor wing.






The halls were covered with wonderful lithographs, engravings and paintings.

A typical hall decoration.









The chandelier over the first floor lobby.


The only thing that I didn't understand was why they placed a scale in my bathroom. Were they trying to tell me something? When I arrived my room wasn't ready so I went for lunch in the 1911 Restaurant. The beautiful polite clerk who checked me in accompanied me down the long hall toward the restaurants explaining all the choices. I opted for a buffet---soup, salads and desserts - which was huge! Later I went to the Atrium for High Tea which I love with hot and cold finger food and more luscious desserts. I staggered out feeling like a stuffed toad. I had originally planned on having dinner in one of the restaurants there but couldn't face it.



Later in the evening a housekeeper came to the room refreshing the towels and what not, placing a rug by my bed with slippers, and leaving a pile of papers in a lovely bed tray which I had to deal with. There was a bag for leaving my shoes outside the door to have shined ( I didn't bother...this was dusty Delhi after all) A form asking what papers I would like delivered before breakfast (they come in this nice cloth bag) and a form for breakfast to be delivered at what time please?
Breakfast arrived with tea cozies and milk for tea cozies of course and a real linen napkin and placemat.
Another hall painting
The royal palm driveway leading up to the hotel. It has something like 14 acres right in the heart of Delhi.
The seatingfacing the lawn outside the 1911 Restaurant The columns are tiled.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home