Priscilla Kibbee

I love to travel all over the globe shopping for textiles to add to my wearable art. I have taught quilting to school children in Nepal, seminole patchwork to seamstresses in Thailand, and jackets and embellishment to quilters in Turkey where I also served as a judge at 2 of their International Quilt Shows. I have created garments for 5 Fairfield and Bernina Fashion Shows and teach classes on embellishment and wearable art. Lately I have been leaning more toward making art quilts.

Monday, January 25, 2010

Trip to Oaxaca - What Did I Buy? Alebrijes of Course

I had no intention of purchasing a rug but I couldn't resist this one. I bought it from a weaver on the street in a artisans market in the center of town.
Of course I had to have a tiger mask for my collection. I don't have one with this fancy painting. This one is from San Martin.

I couldn't resist this cutie made by Pete Santiago in Arrazola. The babies and corn stalk are all detachable.

I am not sure if this is a deer or an antelope. From San Martin.

I had never seen a bat done in this medium and couldn't resist this one also from San Martin.

I may have the wings on backward. The painting on these figures is just exquisite and the talent and workmanship has really increased in the past 10 years.

Another irrestible piece from Arrazola. The book detaches.


This was the most expensive piece...also by Pepe Santiago in Arrazola. The painting is exquisite.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger NickiLee said...

WOW! What a fabulous collection of Alebrijes! Thank you for a trip down memory lane with your stories. My girlfriend and I spent two weeks in Oaxaca & Puebla and loved every minute of it. We both had been collecting alebrijes for quite a few years and then decided one day to go to the place where they were being made. We went out into the village and spent the day going from one home to another seeing all the creations. Have to admit I had to send my dirty clothes home in a box so I'd have room in my suitcases for all I bought.

February 1, 2010 at 2:59 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi..we are planning a trip to Oaxaca and part of the intention is to buy some Alebrijes. I was wondering if you can give us some guidance. First, here in the US, we hear a lot of (and admire the work of) Jacobo and Maria Angeles, but are there others who do such spectacular work as well. If so, any recommendations? Secondly, what about the pricing? Do you have to negotiate hard...is it fixed price. Are the prices significantly cheaper or do people go there mostly for the bigger collection that is available?

July 27, 2010 at 11:49 AM  
Blogger Priscilla Kibbee said...

If you send your email address i will be glad to answer your questions.

July 27, 2010 at 10:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

thanks so much...my email id is nandan.pub@gmail.com

July 27, 2010 at 11:51 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

hi priscilla,

I sent you my email id, not sure if you received it. It is nandan.pub@gmail.com

We really would love it if you can give us some guidance on buying the nice alebrijes in Oaxaca. Specifically on how to go about pricing etc.

thanks

July 31, 2010 at 1:11 PM  
Blogger Priscilla Kibbee said...

I began traveling to Oaxaca in the early 80's before the market for Alebrijes really took off. I went every year during the 90's and then didn't return from 2000 until this January. I used to be able to buy fairly well done small pieces in the shops around town and in stalls in the various street markets. There were also a few stores with great larger much more expensive pieces. And the two towns famous for the animals still had dirt streets and artisans working in their yards.

I found a huge change on this trip...with few small quality pieces available in town, and what nice pieces there were in the shops were very expensive. Many of the high end shops seemed to have vanished.

I had quite despaired of being able to find anything I wanted until I went out to the towns,,, Arrazola and San Martin Tilcajete. They are easy to get to by Taxi or the shared taxis in the market. Do not take a tour out there as the guide gets a commission. The towns have paved roads and beautiful new houses (I am happy to see that they are prospering) and lots of the artists have shops in their houses or elsewhere. I was delighted to find that the quality of the work had INCREASED a great deal since I was there 10 years ago. They are producing absolutely gorgeous work, beautifully carved and painted. I travel all over the world and see crafts declining everywhere and it is a delight to see them actually flourishing and improving somewhere. And I didn't consider the prices unreasonable in the least for the work involved. Yes, you can dicker but only a little bit. They know there is a huge market for their work. Here are several artists I purchased from, all of which I can recommend:

Cesar Jimenez Arrazola

Luis Sosa Calvo San Martin

Pepe Santiago Arrazola (possibly the best)

Arsenio Morales Arrazola

It is great fun just wandering around the town and in and out of the shops and studios.

Aside from the fact that I just enjoy the pieces I feel that those I purchased years ago have increased in value. Whether current ones will remains to be seen..

August 2, 2010 at 11:14 PM  
Blogger Alan Gutierrez Ramirez said...

Congratulations U purchased the Jaguar Blue Mask at My house Alan Gutierrez levyzero23@hotmail.com

October 17, 2010 at 1:37 AM  
Blogger Priscilla Kibbee said...

Thank you for identifying yourself as I missed getting your name somehow! Your mask is just beautiful and I am enjoying it on my wall.

October 17, 2010 at 1:48 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home