Priscilla Kibbee

I love to travel all over the globe shopping for textiles to add to my wearable art. I have taught quilting to school children in Nepal, seminole patchwork to seamstresses in Thailand, and jackets and embellishment to quilters in Turkey where I also served as a judge at 2 of their International Quilt Shows. I have created garments for 5 Fairfield and Bernina Fashion Shows and teach classes on embellishment and wearable art. Lately I have been leaning more toward making art quilts.

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Trip to Panajachel and Lake Atitlan

The gorgeous lake was mostly misty without good views during most of my visit. Because of the runoff from fertilizer and sewage around the lake there is a huge "slime" problem which has hit the news recently. You can see the slime beginning at least a mile from shore as you go across the lake. It is really hurting the fishermen's income.
My first morning I went down a few doors to one of my favorite restaurants for pancakes.

Itsn't this a great mural at the head of Santander, the main street.


My favorite fabric store. Well, all right, its the only fabric store in town as far as I know. Run by a man from Solola who still wears the traditional costume.
I know, I know, you have been waiting for the banana split photo. It turns out that now there are at least 3 places on the main street where I can buy them. This is the deluxe one for an extra 2 quetzals which means you get the wafers.
The streets are usually busy with women and children peddling all kinds of things. Business is so slow right now that some of the women are taking time to chat on the sidewalk.

My favorite restaurant is closed on Tuesdays so I decided to try the restaurant next door to my hotel. Turned out they had better pancakes and cheaper.
A beautiful vine on the main street.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home