Priscilla Kibbee

I love to travel all over the globe shopping for textiles to add to my wearable art. I have taught quilting to school children in Nepal, seminole patchwork to seamstresses in Thailand, and jackets and embellishment to quilters in Turkey where I also served as a judge at 2 of their International Quilt Shows. I have created garments for 5 Fairfield and Bernina Fashion Shows and teach classes on embellishment and wearable art. Lately I have been leaning more toward making art quilts.

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Trip to Cambodia, Laos and Thailand, Part One

I was stuck the first night staying overnight in a hotel. My flight to Cambodia had been changed from early morning to mid-afternoon. My flight from the U.S.A. always arrives around midnight and when I take an early morning flight somewhere staying overnight just isn't worth the money and bother. Some new reasonably priced hotels have sprung up around the new airport and I found one which worked out very well. They arrange a free pickup at the airport but you have to pay $5 for a trip back.
It even had a refrigerator to keep your water cold. OK. The view wasn't all that much.
And the shower was part of the bathroom. That is quite common in budget asian hotels.
This was an "old" bicycle rickshaw in the Bangkok airport. They are still in use in some cities and towns around Asia. I was several just like it on the streets of Nong Khai Thailand.
My hotel in Phnom Penh Cambodia, my first stop was quite plush. This was my personal little courtyard.
Most asian houses has a Spirit House to keep the spirits who inhabit the land at bay. Offerings are usually left every day.
This was the "community" pool and restaurant for the hotel. Four rooms also had their own private pools.


I found the shopping in Cambodia quite disappointing. This was the collection of silk scarves which I purchased in the "Russian" market. All handwoven Cambodian silk.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home