Priscilla Kibbee

I love to travel all over the globe shopping for textiles to add to my wearable art. I have taught quilting to school children in Nepal, seminole patchwork to seamstresses in Thailand, and jackets and embellishment to quilters in Turkey where I also served as a judge at 2 of their International Quilt Shows. I have created garments for 5 Fairfield and Bernina Fashion Shows and teach classes on embellishment and wearable art. Lately I have been leaning more toward making art quilts.

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Train to Bangkok

As you could see in my Vientiane photos by this point I had a lot of luggage. I unloaded 10 pounds or so and sent a box home from the Nong Khai Post Office. They have a very efficient system. They will sell you a dandy box for less than a dollar and seal it up after you have packed it. That cost me about $30 by seamail...two months or more. So I decided to take the night train from Nong Khai to Bangkok. I had been wanting to take the train on this trip and this was my chance. This is the Nong Khai Train Station. Very neat, open and modern but it has two sets of steps...and no ramp for suitcases. I never saw a Thai national with more than a carryon so this might be understandable. My train was already in the station when I arrived as this was the departure point.
As to be expected my car was at the other end of the train...almost as far as one could go. By the time I dragged my three bags down here in the 90 plus high humidity I was soaked.

First Class sleeper cars are designed for two people with an attached washbasin. And a very comfy seat for two when the bunk beds aren't made up. The lower bed was the most comfortable and widest I have ever encountered on an overnight train.

The suitcase racks (much too small for my purposes) contained a surprise...a foam mattress for the lower bunk and the usual pillows.
The hallway leading to the toilets. I splurged and rented the whole compartment which cost me an additional $15 which I considered well worth it. The total fee for the compartment came to $56 which I considered to be a bargain. When I arrived in Bangkok there were men with big carts who would take your suitcases to the waiting taxis for about $1. Such a deal.
For my first night back in Bangkok I had booked a favorite hotel in Chinatown. It was one of my big splurges for the trip but extremely handy to the area where I buy buttons and jewelry and sometimes fabric. The hotel rooms begin on the 16th floor and all have a view. There is a pool on the 23rd floor and a revolving restaurant on the 24th which I ate in that evening. I arrived here just as the Stock Market was plunging back home.

My suitcase room was almost as big as the next room I had rented in Bangkok. The rate also includes a wonderful breakfast.


And orchids on your pillows.

And a wonderful view. Then reality set in and I returned to Banglampoo and my tiny little room.





Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home