Priscilla Kibbee

I love to travel all over the globe shopping for textiles to add to my wearable art. I have taught quilting to school children in Nepal, seminole patchwork to seamstresses in Thailand, and jackets and embellishment to quilters in Turkey where I also served as a judge at 2 of their International Quilt Shows. I have created garments for 5 Fairfield and Bernina Fashion Shows and teach classes on embellishment and wearable art. Lately I have been leaning more toward making art quilts.

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

A Day in Boudha

We made a day trip to Boudha, or Bodhnath, about 6 km. from Kathmandu. It used to be a separate community but most small towns have now been swallowed up in the constant growth in the valley. I spent many months here over a number of years teaching English in the local schools. Knowing how little the students have here to work with I always try to load up my suitcases when I come here with things they can use. Carolyn and I brought notebooks, crayons, pencils and pens this year. The stupa here is one of the world's largest and, of course, is the town center. The town is the religious center for a huge Tibetan refugee population who settled here in the late 50's after the overthrow of Tibet. They have prospered and there are now almost 30 Buddhist monastaries here.
Cars are off limits but there is the occasional motorcycle on the circle around the stupa.
And lots of shops selling Tibetan and other items. Unfortunately they are becoming more and more upscale every year. There used to be an old broken down brick building on this corner. It was torn down and this beautiful monastery built in its place.


Even cows need to take a break in the heat of the day.
One of my favorite restaurants here is the Stupa View on several floors with a nice rooftop terrace with views over the town.
Their momo's (vegetables in a wrapping like ravioli with tomato sauce) are terrific.
An elderly Tibetan woman with her prayer beads. In the morning and evening there is a fabulous view of scores of people walking around the stupa, turning the prayer wheel and saying their prayers using the beads and personal prayer wheels. I would often sit at the window of one of the upstairs restaurants surrounding the Stupa and watch.
A child dispatches pidgeons near the feeder.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home