Priscilla Kibbee

I love to travel all over the globe shopping for textiles to add to my wearable art. I have taught quilting to school children in Nepal, seminole patchwork to seamstresses in Thailand, and jackets and embellishment to quilters in Turkey where I also served as a judge at 2 of their International Quilt Shows. I have created garments for 5 Fairfield and Bernina Fashion Shows and teach classes on embellishment and wearable art. Lately I have been leaning more toward making art quilts.

Sunday, September 9, 2007

Panama Trip...The End of the Story

I usually don't buy many large appliqued pieces since I prefer the more traditional molas. These extra large pieces were beautifully stitched and hard to resist. Birds seem to be the most popular design, followed by sea life. The two on the left are already sold.
These gorgeous murals are in the Administration Building in what used to be the Panama Canal Zone. Painted by William Van Ingen in 1915 they were restored in 1993. The first view is of the partially finished Mitler Gate. The Miraflores Locks culvert construction.

The Gatun Dam Spillway There are usually three or four small vendors with molas on this side street near Via Espana. This year I only found 2 molas to buy from them. There used to be several vendors around the corner in front of a major bank but they were all missing this year.




The view from my hotel roof.
My hotel pool.



I usually don't buy a lot of appliqued pieces but I found quite a few which I liked this year. And I was particularly captivated by a type I found this year which was heavily embroidered on top of the applique. They are fairly small pieces but just seem to glow.
This mola of a flute player had an unusual detail. All the striped pieces are not striped fabric, but appliqued strips set within appliqued cutouts.
This mola was part of a blouse made by my guide Orlando's daughter. It is probably the best mola I have ever purchased. Its certainly my favorite. The details are exquisite. The "spots" on the indians are made by cutting tiny holes and then turning them under with tiny stitches to reveal the fabric underneath. The mola on the other side of the blouse depicted the 1925 Revolution which freed the Kuna from Panama.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home