Priscilla Kibbee

I love to travel all over the globe shopping for textiles to add to my wearable art. I have taught quilting to school children in Nepal, seminole patchwork to seamstresses in Thailand, and jackets and embellishment to quilters in Turkey where I also served as a judge at 2 of their International Quilt Shows. I have created garments for 5 Fairfield and Bernina Fashion Shows and teach classes on embellishment and wearable art. Lately I have been leaning more toward making art quilts.

Saturday, August 25, 2007

More Trip Planning Today

It was too hot to work outside today so I have been doing a bit of sewing...working on the aqua coat and continuing planning trips. I am disturbed by some of the news from Kathmandu, Nepal. where I will be going in three weeks. The Maoists called a strike against the schools and businesses a few days ago and I am hoping that it will be settled before my trip. I have been there during a strike before and the city literally shuts down. If your hotel doesn't have an operating restaurant you are just plain out of luck.

Street markets begin just several blocks from where I will be staying in Kathmandu and are always a riot of color. In Bouda where i spent a lot of time there would be small markets of 4 or 5 vendors all over town. It wasn't hard to be a vegetarian there after taking a look at the meat sellers. We would see them set up shop in the morning with their hopefully freshly cut wares. In the heat of the afternoon the shop would be closed. Then in early evening when housewives were returning home from work they would be back in the evening dusk with a candle set into the meat for light.

This was a really glittery shop about two blocks north of Durbar Square in Kathmandu.
And my favorite place of all, of course, the huge stupa in Bouda. In this photo trimmed with marigold wash.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home