Priscilla Kibbee

I love to travel all over the globe shopping for textiles to add to my wearable art. I have taught quilting to school children in Nepal, seminole patchwork to seamstresses in Thailand, and jackets and embellishment to quilters in Turkey where I also served as a judge at 2 of their International Quilt Shows. I have created garments for 5 Fairfield and Bernina Fashion Shows and teach classes on embellishment and wearable art. Lately I have been leaning more toward making art quilts.

Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Panama Trip...Part Three

This dock had a fish farm between the outside dock and the town. We had fish in the hotel at both lunch and dinner. The Kuna have their own trading vessels to bring supplies from the mainland. They raise pigs and chickens on the islands but the main crop is cocoanuts which they sell to Columbia.

These molas were for sale on the island where we had lunch. This was an island with only one family.

Without all the houses the islands are quite beautiful. The area is famous for its snorkeling and the water is very clear and blue.

The school on the island of Nalunega, with over 300 inhabitants...about 5 minutes by boat from the island where I was staying. The school is in the distance. Children wear uniforms and attend in the morning and the school has three rooms. Each room is fitted with big blackboards and chairs with armrests. Children attend through the sixth grade and adults attend in the afternoon. Every island of any size has a school.
This island had several open areas...mainly for sports.
My guide Orlando lived on this island and took me to his home where I met his wife and daughter. His daughter made exquisite molas which I had to purchase.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home