Priscilla Kibbee

I love to travel all over the globe shopping for textiles to add to my wearable art. I have taught quilting to school children in Nepal, seminole patchwork to seamstresses in Thailand, and jackets and embellishment to quilters in Turkey where I also served as a judge at 2 of their International Quilt Shows. I have created garments for 5 Fairfield and Bernina Fashion Shows and teach classes on embellishment and wearable art. Lately I have been leaning more toward making art quilts.

Saturday, September 8, 2007

Panama Trip...Part 7

Back to the island of Nalunega, this time to visit the Kuna Museum. It was a small but excellent trip and the "curator" explained everything to us (in Spanish of course) but unfortunately no photos were allowed. The Indians still use shamans and medicinal herbs for cures. When they die they are buried in hammocks and at the same depth as their height. There were also many interesting ceremonies which I had not heard elsewhere...such as the haircutting ceremony when the child is 2 or 3 years old.
A basketball game was going full blast when we left. The museum is on the water nearby and there was a pig in a pen just outside who kept "grunting" the whole time we were there. Typical fishing boat.


Typical boat for three or four people to go between islands. Heading out just before dark.
Typical meal in my hotel. Some sort of shellfish which I found too tough, some fried potatoes which were usually good and a salad I always liked. I wish I had gotten a photo of the whole fish we had for lunch (eyes and all) but I didn't have my camera with me. Amazingly even when the electric was "off" during the day the restaurant had cold cokes in the refrigerator and so did the little store across the way. They must have used a backup generator or something.
Figuring out in advance that the "lights" that would be on in the evening wouldn't be enough for reading with I armed myself with a battery operated lamp which was a godsend. The island is absolutely quiet after around 7:30 pm (about the time we finished dinner in the restaurant). With the lamp I could read way into the night.
Fishermen with their nets off the island of El Provenir.
The airport control tower. Plane land on the runway right behind this.
Airport checkin and security occur at this picnic table under the thatch. You just sign your name on the appropriate list and that is it. They do give you a tag for your bag. There are two airlines that fly in and out every morning...both at about the same time. When you arrive at the domestic airport in Panama City you have to go through security just to show your passport before you can get your bag back. The domestic airport...Allport...was built by the
Americans and is next to the Canal Zone.
This hotel was a Smithsonian Research Facility until 1998 and is now a hotel and occupies the whole island between Wichub-Huala (where i stayed) and Nalunega. Its not much of an island and you still need to take a boat to get anywhere. I decided against this one. If I just wanted peace and quiet I could stay home.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home