Priscilla Kibbee

I love to travel all over the globe shopping for textiles to add to my wearable art. I have taught quilting to school children in Nepal, seminole patchwork to seamstresses in Thailand, and jackets and embellishment to quilters in Turkey where I also served as a judge at 2 of their International Quilt Shows. I have created garments for 5 Fairfield and Bernina Fashion Shows and teach classes on embellishment and wearable art. Lately I have been leaning more toward making art quilts.

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Trip to Thailand, Laos & Vietnam: Vientiane, Laos

Terrible things are happening to my favorite shopping area, the Morning Market (which actually runs all day) in Vientiane, Laos. There used to be three peaked buildings like the one on the left. For the last couple of years they have been tearing down two of them and building this monster in the middle. I fear it will be similar to the nearby fairly new mall which contains cheap western clothes and not the gorgeous textiles which I like to buy. They also tore down a nearby ethnic textile market.



The beautiful park near my hotel




These signs were everywhere on a fence by some remodeling. I assume it means no parking.





Civilization has come to Vientiane. A new Swensen's opened since my visit in February. I had to try it out of course. There is a Pizza shop next door.




Almost $5. Very expensive by Lao standards and the air conditioning didn't work very well.




The beautiful doors of the Cultural Center next door.





My usual banana split in one of my favorite restaurants. I couldn't show favorites.





This stand of paintings has been on this corner for years.




The finished new park by the Mekong with a flood wall. Annual flooding of the Mekong was a problem here and many times when I would arrive in the rainy season the streets along the river were lined with sandbags. The previous park along the river was quite neglected (My friend Phonesay said that Loatian people don't really respect parks like Americans do.)
There were stands along the river selling fast food, restaurants where you could watch the sunset and in the non-flooding season there were farmers fields making use of the fertile silt left by the river. That's all gone now.



Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home