Priscilla Kibbee

I love to travel all over the globe shopping for textiles to add to my wearable art. I have taught quilting to school children in Nepal, seminole patchwork to seamstresses in Thailand, and jackets and embellishment to quilters in Turkey where I also served as a judge at 2 of their International Quilt Shows. I have created garments for 5 Fairfield and Bernina Fashion Shows and teach classes on embellishment and wearable art. Lately I have been leaning more toward making art quilts.

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Trip to Thailand, Laos & Vietnam: The Sapa Trek #1

My guide May picked me up with a van and we drove to the edge of Sapa to begin our trek down the mountainside.


It was still a bit misty but not as bad as it was in Sapa the three days I was there.

Three enterprising salesladies hiked down with us and, of course, tried to sell me things along the way.


My guide May. She made all her beautiful clothing, all hand embroidered in silk

A water buffalo in her pen along the trail.


A local farmer's home.

Baby buffalo.

I had wonderful views of rice paddies along the trail.


Just a basic pig along the road.


At its best the trail was full of loose stones. At its worst it was a raging stream with large boulders.















We stopped at a local home with a small loom on the porch.


I didn't investigate the water closet.


The corn was place here to dry, helped by a fire below.


One of the cooking areas in the house.



Indigo.

Spinning wheel and an implement for grinding grain.


And, of course, there were items for sale in the house. These blankets are recycled clothing.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home