Priscilla Kibbee

I love to travel all over the globe shopping for textiles to add to my wearable art. I have taught quilting to school children in Nepal, seminole patchwork to seamstresses in Thailand, and jackets and embellishment to quilters in Turkey where I also served as a judge at 2 of their International Quilt Shows. I have created garments for 5 Fairfield and Bernina Fashion Shows and teach classes on embellishment and wearable art. Lately I have been leaning more toward making art quilts.

Friday, May 21, 2010

Guatemalan Poverty






















The poverty in the Guatemalan Highlands is so incredible  and  so pervasive that after awhile you  unfortunately become a bit immune to it.  But this was one of the worst cases I have seen in quite awhile. 







This family is living in one of the worst houses the local Mayan Families NGO has seen in some time...and that is saying a lot.  The children sleep on beds with wire mattresses or on the muddy floor under a leaking roof. 

Mayan Families is a wonderful group which I have personally checked out and highly recommend .  Take a look at their blog and web site if you are at all interested.  They arrange  sponsors for  literally hundreds of children to be able to attend school in the surrounding towns. 

Take a look for yourself

http://mayanfamilies-sharon.blogspot.com/


http://mayanfamilies-sharon.blogspot.com/

http://www.mayanfamilies.org/

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home