Priscilla Kibbee

I love to travel all over the globe shopping for textiles to add to my wearable art. I have taught quilting to school children in Nepal, seminole patchwork to seamstresses in Thailand, and jackets and embellishment to quilters in Turkey where I also served as a judge at 2 of their International Quilt Shows. I have created garments for 5 Fairfield and Bernina Fashion Shows and teach classes on embellishment and wearable art. Lately I have been leaning more toward making art quilts.

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Trip to India March-April 2010 - Back in New Delhi

















After another overnight train...this time from Bhubaneswar to New Delhi, I check into my hotel and take off for a bit of shopping.  The main street is still torn up...this time closer to my hotel but thankfully not on my street.

















This is the main street in the backpacker district of Paharganj, but it also a popular shopping district for the locals.  Stores open late in the morning and it is a riot of color and activitiy early in the evening.  There was a bombing here a couple of years ago and a number of people were killed.  There is a Metro station a couple of blocks away.  I like it because of the inexpensive hotels and easy access to the Metro and the New Delhi Train Station a few blocks away. 




















After a few confrontations with tuk tuk drivers (they like to take you to shops where they receive commissions) I finally arrived at my destination...Dilli Haat...a wonderful open air market in South Delhi.  The shops are rented on a two week basis so they change frequently and artisans come in from all over India.  And there are a few fast food resturants where you can stop for a break.  I usually fill a portable stroller bag at a minimum here.

















The "strings" across the way are brightly decorated stuffed animals such as elephants and camels.

















The next morning I set off for Kinari Bazaar, a narrow lane in Old Delhi near the Red Fort.  It is famous for wedding decorations and brilliant trim and doodads of all varieties.  I love just walking around here.  And I usually fill at least one huge bag.



















I saw carts filled with these colorful squash all over Delhi.  The colors were just wonderful.
















This alleyway in Kinari Bazaar was a big surprise.  Usually the buildings here are quite rundown but this one looked well cared for.
















Back in New Delhi for more shopping I ran into some sort of peaceful demonstration.




















Back in my neighborhood the shopping was starting to pick up.  This is a big open area where two streets connect and full of street food.


















A typical alleyway in this area.  Some of the alleys are very narrow and full of tiny shops and hotels. 

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home