Priscilla Kibbee

I love to travel all over the globe shopping for textiles to add to my wearable art. I have taught quilting to school children in Nepal, seminole patchwork to seamstresses in Thailand, and jackets and embellishment to quilters in Turkey where I also served as a judge at 2 of their International Quilt Shows. I have created garments for 5 Fairfield and Bernina Fashion Shows and teach classes on embellishment and wearable art. Lately I have been leaning more toward making art quilts.

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Trip to India March-April 2010- Kolkata

A man asleep on the sidewalk just outside the hotel entrance.

There is a group of people who "live" beside the Indian Museum just up the street.  Their "houses" are closed up in the daytime.

Kolkata is one of the few places left in the world with people drawn rickshaws.  The government has tried to outlaw them and they are restricted to certain parts of the city.  However people find them very useful during the monsoon when some streets flood.  This photos was taken from the doorway of my hotel.

The "house" of some street people in another section of Kolkata.  They just cook on the sidewalk.  There are usually 2 or three of these structures together so they can watch out for each others possessions.This was a busy main street in the downtown area.

The ubiquitous yellow taxi found everywhere in town.  There were no tuk tuks just these taxis and the people drawn rickshaws.  I found it difficult to get an honest rate from the taxi drivers.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Mandi said...

You do all of this exciting travel, it's wonder to me as I am such a homebody! Do you speak all of the languages?

April 10, 2010 at 12:06 PM  
Blogger Priscilla Kibbee said...

English is very common in India and common enough in Asia to get around easily. I speak a bit of Spanish but that's about it

April 11, 2010 at 6:44 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home