Priscilla Kibbee

I love to travel all over the globe shopping for textiles to add to my wearable art. I have taught quilting to school children in Nepal, seminole patchwork to seamstresses in Thailand, and jackets and embellishment to quilters in Turkey where I also served as a judge at 2 of their International Quilt Shows. I have created garments for 5 Fairfield and Bernina Fashion Shows and teach classes on embellishment and wearable art. Lately I have been leaning more toward making art quilts.

Monday, December 14, 2009

Market Day in Chichicastenango


Thursday was market day in Chichicastenango. I opted not staying there all night this trip as I didn't need any more huipils. My first stop, as usual, was to the Hotel Santo Tomas for pancakes. Luckily the parrots were out this trip.

The hotel is always beautifully decorated.





A marimba band plays on the balcony at lunch time.


After breakfast and enjoying the parrots it was off to the market

One of the things which is striking to me is the use of the color red.

I keep meaning to buy one of these crocheted baskets.

There is a shaman at work on the top of the church steps.


Chichi is famous for the beautiful needlepoint type huipils on usually a black background.

A drunken man in really terrible shape in front of the ice cream store. No, I didn't have a banana split.
Some interesting long embroideries.

The shuttles to Panajachel and Antigua meet their passengers in front of the Hotel Santo Tomas. As the appointed time arrives vendors congregate here looking for last minute sales.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home