Priscilla Kibbee

I love to travel all over the globe shopping for textiles to add to my wearable art. I have taught quilting to school children in Nepal, seminole patchwork to seamstresses in Thailand, and jackets and embellishment to quilters in Turkey where I also served as a judge at 2 of their International Quilt Shows. I have created garments for 5 Fairfield and Bernina Fashion Shows and teach classes on embellishment and wearable art. Lately I have been leaning more toward making art quilts.

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Jodhpur, India, The Next Stop

Its back down to reality again with a room at the wonderful Govind Hotel near the railroad station. The hotel is certainly nothing like the one in Ahmedabad. But at 900 rupees (about $18) it was a bargain. A nice big room with fan and air conditioning, cable tv and hot shower. And a safe hotel, super clean, and with a great restaurant on the roof with a view of the fort.
Those "windows" really open into the hall but there were two outside windows. The bed had no sheets but that was no problem. I carry a silk "sleep sack" a travel pillow and a velour blanket which also folds up into a pillow so I am ready for whatever I find. The hotel owner and his sons are very friendly and helpful and its a great place to stay.
After dropping my bags its off to the main market by the old clock tower.
There are shops all around the open yard and a section off to the side with narrow passageways,
And a few goats of course.
The open area
The main gate to the market. Jodhpur has preserved several of its old gates.
An open air dentist.

When business is slow a nap is in order in the heat of the day.
On the far side of the gate it was possible to rent a horse and cart for trips around town.
There were great views of the fort from here. I didn't go up there this trip as I had been there several times on other trips.
I hired a tuk tuk driver who took me to several other market areas.
That looks like fun
Lots of camels in town.

Two wandering musicians.
An interesting building in the market area.
Another little girl who wanted her photo taken.
A sari shop where I bought several hand dyed saris.

One of the local fabric dyers.
Back in the main market by the clock tower.

Outside the market on one of the main streets.

This was a tray of wonderful antique glass pieces in the main market. I thought they were christmas ornaments but the seller said they were just old glass.
There were quite a few agressive sellers of used saris in the market. I always try and find several that I like as they are often very wonderful material.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home