Priscilla Kibbee

I love to travel all over the globe shopping for textiles to add to my wearable art. I have taught quilting to school children in Nepal, seminole patchwork to seamstresses in Thailand, and jackets and embellishment to quilters in Turkey where I also served as a judge at 2 of their International Quilt Shows. I have created garments for 5 Fairfield and Bernina Fashion Shows and teach classes on embellishment and wearable art. Lately I have been leaning more toward making art quilts.

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Wooden Mansions of Sidhpur India



When the woman at the hotel arranged my trip and added the Wooden Houses of Sidhpur I thought "why would I want to go all that way to look at wooden houses"? Boy was I in for a surprise. This fairly small town had 5 ot 600 of these fabulous houses. Streets and streets of them! And almost all not lived in but obviously maintained by someone.


These are called bohra wads. the residential areas ofthe Muslim Bohra community. Bohra houses were built perhaps more than a hundred years by the trader community people who settled abroad, but sent money to build house in their native country. A clear european influence is visible on facades and deoration as well as its unique streets. since most of the owners reside outside the country, one finds the streets quite empty, very unusual for indian streets.


The least well maintained seemed to be the buildings on the main street which housed shops on the first floor.



The main street

A melon seller

The donkey seemed to be all alone.
These garlic sellers were happy to pose for me.
This little girl wanted her photo taken then changed her mind.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Y.K. Mamoowala said...

Thank you to visit my town Sidhpur.

Surprised to see my house first in your trip detail.

Thank you

January 4, 2010 at 10:19 PM  
Blogger Priscilla Kibbee said...

I thought the houses were fabulous. I would love to visit there again and spend more time looking at the houses.

January 5, 2010 at 12:16 AM  
Blogger Y.K. Mamoowala said...

Send me private mail when you visit my town again. A will arrange to see it form Inside and also few other houses.

Regards,

January 9, 2010 at 12:00 AM  
Blogger Priscilla Kibbee said...

That would be absolutely wonderful. I see you are a jewelry maker? Great photos on your blog.

January 10, 2010 at 12:17 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

hi its really very exciting to see our houses on your details of photos.
we would surely in your next want to see a documentary showcasing these houses..
Moiz.S.Zaveri

February 27, 2010 at 5:24 AM  
Blogger K.V. Momin said...

Thanks for expose our Sidhpur heritage place n Thanks for visit ....K.V.Momin

August 4, 2011 at 11:56 PM  
Blogger K.V. Momin said...

Thanks for expose our Sidhpur heritage place n Thanks for visit ....K.V.Momin

August 4, 2011 at 11:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home