Priscilla Kibbee

I love to travel all over the globe shopping for textiles to add to my wearable art. I have taught quilting to school children in Nepal, seminole patchwork to seamstresses in Thailand, and jackets and embellishment to quilters in Turkey where I also served as a judge at 2 of their International Quilt Shows. I have created garments for 5 Fairfield and Bernina Fashion Shows and teach classes on embellishment and wearable art. Lately I have been leaning more toward making art quilts.

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Wandering Around Kathmandu, Nepal


Many days I just spend a few hours wandering around the very interesting streets of Old Kathmandu. Ghurka knives are a popular item but I wouldn't advise taking it home in your carryon.

I thought this fruit stand had a really interesting front.
Fast food at Thati Square.

And a local tailor sets up shop there.
There is a small Stupa about a block from the square and I was looking for an interesting painter I found two years ago. Unfortunately his tiny shop was closed. It was a dark gloomy day and the stupa is getting a bit of mold during the monsoon.
The monastery next door.
The area is full of shops telling Tibetan buddhist fabrics (brocades) prayer flags and other items. Some of my favorite jewelry shops are also in this area.
These electrical wires were at shoulder height and I was careful not to catch my umbrella in them for fear of electricution.
The local version of the tooth fairy.
Laborers waiting for work.
A temple at Indra Chowk.
The bead market there. Run by Muslims the market of 20 or 30 tiny shops is tucked in an easily missed corner. I used to spend hundreds here on every trip. This year I didn't see anything of any interest here.
New teeth anyone?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home