Priscilla Kibbee

I love to travel all over the globe shopping for textiles to add to my wearable art. I have taught quilting to school children in Nepal, seminole patchwork to seamstresses in Thailand, and jackets and embellishment to quilters in Turkey where I also served as a judge at 2 of their International Quilt Shows. I have created garments for 5 Fairfield and Bernina Fashion Shows and teach classes on embellishment and wearable art. Lately I have been leaning more toward making art quilts.

Saturday, September 12, 2009

Ahmedabad India

My hotel has also restored a 200 year old Haveli (old house) in the old section of Ahmedabad. The house has beautiful wood carvings and was entirely made of wood. They have incorporated a gift shop and a beautiful restaurant on the roof. My hotel also supplied a shuttle bus to take you there. Looking up at the second story from the inside patio.


One of the old doors.


A deep well/cistern in the first floor corner.


Looking down at the first floor patio from the second floor.




Looking down at the narrow street. The streets in this area were so narrow that a car couldn't go down them. The shuttle left me off at the corner.

An unrestored Haveli across the street.

The view from the rooftop restaurant. Delicious food.
Unfortunately there was a rain storm during dinner (it was monsoon season) but they have an inside section too.

Another old door. After all this culture it was time for a bit of shopping. I tried the old market area in the old section of town as I had heard this was where I could find the traditional shisha mirrored pieces which the region was noted for.
I found one really nice length of hand blocked cotton.

But most of the goods here were just "glitz" and not really what I was interested in.
This dress was beautiful but it was sequins sewn on the outside not real shishas.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home