Priscilla Kibbee

I love to travel all over the globe shopping for textiles to add to my wearable art. I have taught quilting to school children in Nepal, seminole patchwork to seamstresses in Thailand, and jackets and embellishment to quilters in Turkey where I also served as a judge at 2 of their International Quilt Shows. I have created garments for 5 Fairfield and Bernina Fashion Shows and teach classes on embellishment and wearable art. Lately I have been leaning more toward making art quilts.

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Chichicastenango Part Four

The market begins to come to life. A big surprise was a new museum right on the second floor of my hotel! A typical clothing from this area.
The area is also noted for its mask makers.

A confradia outfit.

Their hat, staff and special shoes that are made to order and only they can wear.
Typical women's clothing from the area.

Shamans candles and utensils. You can see shamans at work in the Santo Tomas church.


It is a wonderful museum and I was given an excellent guided tour.

Herbs used by shamans
There were also weavings for sale. Mostly from Nebaj,

The stalls in front of the hotel entrance are now in full swing.
And the streets are busy and crowded with shoppers and tourists.
At the edge of the market the tuk tuks wait for fares.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home