Priscilla Kibbee

I love to travel all over the globe shopping for textiles to add to my wearable art. I have taught quilting to school children in Nepal, seminole patchwork to seamstresses in Thailand, and jackets and embellishment to quilters in Turkey where I also served as a judge at 2 of their International Quilt Shows. I have created garments for 5 Fairfield and Bernina Fashion Shows and teach classes on embellishment and wearable art. Lately I have been leaning more toward making art quilts.

Thursday, April 2, 2009

Chichicastenango Guatemala

On March 31st I headed to Guatemala for a few days of relaxing, sightseeing and shopping. On Wednesday ( before one of the market days) I took the shuttle to Chichicastenango and stayed, as usual, at the Hotel Chuguila. Their location can't be beat...in the center of town...but their decor is sometimes a bit weird, to say the least. My room had two saddles on the walls. The white textiles on the bed are towels.

There was a big wardrobe, partly filled with some sort of decorations


And just before my room was a living room with the big creature in the corner.


This collection was huipil designs in a format I had never seen before. Usually I see the colored designs displayed in cross-stitch type photos.


The front of the Santo Thomas Church, decorated for Easter and without the usual flower sellers who will all be out tomorrow at market.

At the other end of the square is a small church called Capilla del Calvario del Senor Sepultado. Also decorated for Easter.


Setting up for market.




Colored chicks for sale at $1 each.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home