Priscilla Kibbee

I love to travel all over the globe shopping for textiles to add to my wearable art. I have taught quilting to school children in Nepal, seminole patchwork to seamstresses in Thailand, and jackets and embellishment to quilters in Turkey where I also served as a judge at 2 of their International Quilt Shows. I have created garments for 5 Fairfield and Bernina Fashion Shows and teach classes on embellishment and wearable art. Lately I have been leaning more toward making art quilts.

Sunday, October 26, 2008

Back to the Bangkok Portion of the Asia Trip

Ok. Enough Quilt Shows for now. I am heading to Houston tomorrow for the BIG show. Back in Bangkok there is a huge Wat just around the corner from my hotel. Actually there are two. My hotel is also within walking distance (depending on your stamina in the heat) from the Grand Palace. Wat Bowonniwet is Bangkok's second largest Buddhist University. This is where the current Thai King and his son were temporary monks.
The Sim entrance.


Because of the terrible economy back in the states I am reduced to eating mini banana splits. Two scoops and half a banana. Hard times are ahead.


On one of my final days I headed off to Jim Thompson's House for a tour. It is actually several antique Thai houses reconstructed on a beautiful canalside site on what used to be a quiet street. It is full of his Art Collection and pretty much as he left it when he disappeared in the 1960's on vacation in Malaysia. This is the drawing room.

















Photos are not allowed inside of the buildings. One of the buildings has been turned into a restaurant.








There is a Spirit house of course. And another building has been turned into a rather upscale shop for Jim Thompson's silks. He was responsible for restoring the silk industry here after WWII when he served in the OSS.








































The grounds are absolutely fabulous.














0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home