Priscilla Kibbee

I love to travel all over the globe shopping for textiles to add to my wearable art. I have taught quilting to school children in Nepal, seminole patchwork to seamstresses in Thailand, and jackets and embellishment to quilters in Turkey where I also served as a judge at 2 of their International Quilt Shows. I have created garments for 5 Fairfield and Bernina Fashion Shows and teach classes on embellishment and wearable art. Lately I have been leaning more toward making art quilts.

Monday, May 14, 2007

Leaving the Bazaar

After the Bazaar we wandered down the steep hill through the crowded streets through one of my favorite sections of Istanbul. It's full of great shops selling trims, beads, thread and beautiful scarves to mention but a few things. There are also shops selling circumcision outfits for boys. I am not sure if they wear these before or after the big event. Ouch!
The area is full of gorgeous old buildings.
One shop sells the beautiful oyas made by women in the villages up in the mountains. They are beautiful intricate flowers which are a sort of combination of crochet and tatting and are sold in strings. Just beautiful. They are also used to trim scarves and sometimes you can find beaded versions.

We couldn't resist a bead shop which was selling interesting beads in little packages. You just can't have too many beads.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home