Priscilla Kibbee

I love to travel all over the globe shopping for textiles to add to my wearable art. I have taught quilting to school children in Nepal, seminole patchwork to seamstresses in Thailand, and jackets and embellishment to quilters in Turkey where I also served as a judge at 2 of their International Quilt Shows. I have created garments for 5 Fairfield and Bernina Fashion Shows and teach classes on embellishment and wearable art. Lately I have been leaning more toward making art quilts.

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Trip to Guatemala Part Four- Last Days in Panajachel

Up to the lovely little Vegetarian Restaurant just up the street for some wonderful Dutch Tomato Soup full of basil and some garlic bread. Isn't the condiment dish they serve with it a beauty. Made just next door in San Antonio Palopo. Soup, garlic bread and a diet coke costs about $8.70. Plus tip of course.

Ok, ok. Here's the banana split photo. Actually there are at least four places in town for one. One is them is half a block from my hotel. And two spots for delicious cheesecake. One just a block away. Its really rough being here. A banana split is about $3.70.


On weekends there are more people in town, usually from Guatemala City so there are more vendors set up on the main street.


I have gotten very well acquainted with this women from Santiago Atitlan who is a sort of huipil broker...selling huipils for other women for a small commission. I see her in Santiago and this time here in Panajachel in the restaurant where I was eating lunch. I have bought quite a few from her but prefer to purchase them from the makers.


The view from the restaurant. It doesn't get much better than this.


Every once in awhile I find a really nice piece on my travels. This trip a woman sold me what I assume was a small baby carrier which is really heavily embroidered. There is even a little mended spot around the middle of the stripe down the center. Really quite lovely in person. A soft dark green.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home