Priscilla Kibbee

I love to travel all over the globe shopping for textiles to add to my wearable art. I have taught quilting to school children in Nepal, seminole patchwork to seamstresses in Thailand, and jackets and embellishment to quilters in Turkey where I also served as a judge at 2 of their International Quilt Shows. I have created garments for 5 Fairfield and Bernina Fashion Shows and teach classes on embellishment and wearable art. Lately I have been leaning more toward making art quilts.

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Trip to India - March-April 2010

Another trip to India. This time to Delhi, Kolkata, Puri and Bhubaneswar. I began the trip as usual in New Delhi. After a late arrival I was picked up at the airport (thankfully at midnight) by a hotel taxi driver. Its always wonderful not having to deal with all the hassle of taxi drivers at the airport and is well worth the extra cost. After a good nights sleep and fortified with the usual carefully wrapped breakfast on the rooftop I was off to my favorite museum in New Delhi, the Craft Museum.
I have been there a dozen times I am sure and have sneaked photos of their textile collection, some of which I have shown on previous blogs. This time I decided to concentrate on the collection outside. There are also always a collection of artisans in another courtyard selling their work. This time I bought some drawings.

A mural of the type found on the havelis in the Shekhawati region of Rajasthan. The real murals were painted around 100 years ago and are much more faded than these versions. I visited this region around 9 years ago.

A pidgeon house from Gujarat. The buildings in this compound are examples of village buildings from all over India.
I love the little figures on this gate and purchased fabric pieces with the figures printed on and some traditional brown/white paintings of the figures.
A typical open air village building

Farm implements.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Sujata Shah said...

Hello!
That was a wonderful post about India I just got to visit! Thank you for sharing your journey and pictures!

December 27, 2011 at 8:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home