Priscilla Kibbee

I love to travel all over the globe shopping for textiles to add to my wearable art. I have taught quilting to school children in Nepal, seminole patchwork to seamstresses in Thailand, and jackets and embellishment to quilters in Turkey where I also served as a judge at 2 of their International Quilt Shows. I have created garments for 5 Fairfield and Bernina Fashion Shows and teach classes on embellishment and wearable art. Lately I have been leaning more toward making art quilts.

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Trip to Thailand, Laos and Bali- Bali Mountains and Temples

After the temple we stopped at an overlook to view the volcanoes.

It reminded me of the view over Lake Atitlan in Guatemala with the three volcanoes overlooking the lake. These volcanoes have erupted numerous times.
Coming back down the mountain we stopped at a kite store...one of many lining the road and luring passerbys with their beautiful kites.
I wanted to purchase one but their price was 2 1/2 times the price quoted in a kite store right next to my hotel. Then they raised the price when I asked for a quote for two kites. As you might imagine I didn't make any purchases here.
Since I was interested in textiles we stopped at a "so called" weaving shop. There were set up looms but no weavers and a few handwoven pieces and a shop full of manufactured ones from elsewhere. This was repeated at a wood carving shop (where I bought a dragon) where two carvers theoretically turned out literally hundreds of huge carvings which filled the shop. This was repeated at two silver shops, with a quick demo of silver making by one lone worker, followed by a tour of a huge shop filled with thousands of factory made pieces.
After all this touring it was time for lunch at a pretty open air restaurant facing rice paddies.
Then time to squeeze in just one more temple before returning to Ubud.
I had to wear a sarong of course.

A sort of kitchen area.


Because of all the rain concrete quickly grows a moss covering.









Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home