Priscilla Kibbee

I love to travel all over the globe shopping for textiles to add to my wearable art. I have taught quilting to school children in Nepal, seminole patchwork to seamstresses in Thailand, and jackets and embellishment to quilters in Turkey where I also served as a judge at 2 of their International Quilt Shows. I have created garments for 5 Fairfield and Bernina Fashion Shows and teach classes on embellishment and wearable art. Lately I have been leaning more toward making art quilts.

Friday, November 9, 2007

The Last Day in India

Our hotel was in Karol Bagh, a local shopping area with busy crowded streets. There was everything from upscale stores selling jewelry and very expensive saris to street vendors who literally set up on the street (note the racks on the left). And there were occasional treats such as the mime out in front of one of the better shops.
On our last day we hired a car (a very large car considering all our baggage) to do our touring around for the day and to take us to the airport since we had a late flight. One of our stops was the post office where Andrea was sending a package home. Before you can send one off the box wallah has to wrap it up and cover it with a cheap white cloth which he sews up very quickly.

You fill out a delivery form in triplicate and he sews one into the corner (don't ask me why) and after you locate the glue pot you glue one onto the front of your newly wrapped package.
In some post offices they also seal each seam with sealing wax.
You also write the addresses on the package with a big magic marker. The cost is anywhere from 100 to 250 rupees (currently 40 to the dollar) depending on the location of the post office and how touristy you look.
We stopped off to pick up Andrea's dress and it was perfect. Ruth also had one done but didn't try it on.
Oops. Another side view. I must learn how to fix this.

Is McDonald's really this bad?

In mid afternoon it was off to Dilli Haat. This is a large outdoor market in south Delhi with lots of stalls for vendors from all over the country. They change every few weeks. I had never been here before but just loved it and will be coming again on my next visit for sure.
Just inside the gate were more of the wonderful art work we saw in the Craft Museum.

Of course we had to buy a few more pieces.

Lots of shawls and articles from various NGO's.

Carolyn had to try on a Kashmiri jacket. She didn't buy it.

This artist made the most fabulous inlaid wood pictures. I had to buy the tiger of course.
This was the piece which attracted us into his booth. It was fabulous. None of us could figure how to get it home unfortunately.
One last coke break before heading to the airport and home.


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home