Priscilla Kibbee

I love to travel all over the globe shopping for textiles to add to my wearable art. I have taught quilting to school children in Nepal, seminole patchwork to seamstresses in Thailand, and jackets and embellishment to quilters in Turkey where I also served as a judge at 2 of their International Quilt Shows. I have created garments for 5 Fairfield and Bernina Fashion Shows and teach classes on embellishment and wearable art. Lately I have been leaning more toward making art quilts.

Monday, September 20, 2010

Beginning a New Jacket

The start of a new jacket. The main material is a two yard piece of silk from a sari, with another two yard piece of silk sari on the reverse and the entire thing is quilted with hand stitches in India. If you click on the photo you can see the stitches. It is designed to be a shawl and has a beautiful drape. The left side is one side of the piece and the right side is the other. In the middle is a strip of purple velveteen which I will use in the jacket and in the band. On the right is what I do with jelly rolls which I purchase in quilt shops. They are basically a few shades of cotton batiks cut into 2 1/2" strips the width of the bolt...about 42". I cut them in half as they are too big for my purposes, then cut them into 1 1/4" wide strips to insert in my garments and quilts. I will draft my own kimono jacket for this piece which will be based pretty much on my hip measurement and the length I want in the finished jacket.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home