Priscilla Kibbee

I love to travel all over the globe shopping for textiles to add to my wearable art. I have taught quilting to school children in Nepal, seminole patchwork to seamstresses in Thailand, and jackets and embellishment to quilters in Turkey where I also served as a judge at 2 of their International Quilt Shows. I have created garments for 5 Fairfield and Bernina Fashion Shows and teach classes on embellishment and wearable art. Lately I have been leaning more toward making art quilts.

Friday, July 2, 2010

Applique Pieces from Bolivia

There was also a wonderful display of products from Artecampo, a cooperative in Santa Cruz, Bolivia which provides an outlet for 1000 crucena women for their handicrafts. There were woven items, beautiful painted boxes, and these fabulous appliqued pieces.
The closed thing I had seen to them in the past were really detailed Arpillera which I purchased years ago in Peru (but made in Columbia) In recent years I have seen others made by women in the slums of Lima which were more crude and which I didn't like nearly as well.




They are beautifully made and I absolutely love the designs.




I came home and immediately booked a trip to Santa Cruz next April. I had previously booked a trip in late 2008 but had to cancel it because of political unrest. Hope I have better luck this time.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home