Priscilla Kibbee

I love to travel all over the globe shopping for textiles to add to my wearable art. I have taught quilting to school children in Nepal, seminole patchwork to seamstresses in Thailand, and jackets and embellishment to quilters in Turkey where I also served as a judge at 2 of their International Quilt Shows. I have created garments for 5 Fairfield and Bernina Fashion Shows and teach classes on embellishment and wearable art. Lately I have been leaning more toward making art quilts.

Saturday, August 15, 2009

Traditional Embroideries of India - by Shailaja Naik

I have been acquiring a large number of books on textiles lately and this was today's addition. It was published in New Delhi in 1996 and while I had been expecting the usual color photos, it doesn't have any which was a surprise. No matter, I have lots of books full of photos. This book has numerous pages full of line drawings depicting the typical embroidery of several regions of India. Much more useful for me at this point in my textile book collection. The areas of India included are: Bengal, Gujarat, Bihar, Himachal, Karnataka, Manipur, Orissa, Punjab, Rajasthan, and Uttar Pradesh. There is also a section on the use of Metal Embroidery and illustrations of some basic embroidery stitches used in the work. If you are interested in it you can purchase it for about $18 and up on Amazon.com




Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Kathi said...

Priscilla,is the whole book like the page you show? With all the motifs?

August 15, 2009 at 7:40 PM  
Blogger Priscilla Kibbee said...

Each chapter is a mix. For example the first chapter on the Kantha of Bengal has 3 pages of written description and 8 pages of drawings such as the one I showed.

August 15, 2009 at 7:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home