Priscilla Kibbee

I love to travel all over the globe shopping for textiles to add to my wearable art. I have taught quilting to school children in Nepal, seminole patchwork to seamstresses in Thailand, and jackets and embellishment to quilters in Turkey where I also served as a judge at 2 of their International Quilt Shows. I have created garments for 5 Fairfield and Bernina Fashion Shows and teach classes on embellishment and wearable art. Lately I have been leaning more toward making art quilts.

Monday, November 1, 2010

The Shaman Coat from Vietnam

I will be leaving on a trip to Thailand, Laos and Vietnam soon and will be looking for more Shaman Coats in Hanoi.
These are wonderful handwoven lightweight (unlined) robes all beautifully hand embroidered in silk. Not old but definitely not made recently. I haven't been able to obtain any information on how old they actually are.


Despite an extensive search I have only found reference to them in one book: The Yao: The Mien and Mun Yao in China, Vietnam, Laos and Thailand by Jess Pourret. Apparently the figures on the back represent a multitude of Gods and Saints. Very beautiful.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home