Priscilla Kibbee

I love to travel all over the globe shopping for textiles to add to my wearable art. I have taught quilting to school children in Nepal, seminole patchwork to seamstresses in Thailand, and jackets and embellishment to quilters in Turkey where I also served as a judge at 2 of their International Quilt Shows. I have created garments for 5 Fairfield and Bernina Fashion Shows and teach classes on embellishment and wearable art. Lately I have been leaning more toward making art quilts.

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Train to Bangkok

I have definitely decided that the best way to get from Vientiane Laos to Bangkok is by overnight train. Luckily for me they have finally finished installing the track across the Bridge which runs across the Mekong and connects Thailand with Laos. The first train on the new loop into Laos was scheduled to begin the day after we left and the station in Nong Khai Thailand was all decorated and had hundreds of chairs set up for the festivities. One of the King's daughters was supposed to launch the event. We were just as happy to miss it. Here are the inner workings at the depot. Waiting to board.





In our comfy compartments. I had my own individual compartment (really a double for which I paid extra to have it alone) At an extra $15 I consider it a huge bargain. And after all the shopping we did in Laos we really didn't want to take a flight to Bangkok with all our overweight suitcases.


I usually don't eat on the train but found that the dinner was surprisingly good. The breakfast however was way too expensive and terrible. Never again.







In the morning as you near Bangkok there are great views of people who live in shanty houses along the tracks.






When you arrive at the station their are porters with huge carts who will wheel your luggage out to the taxi stand. Of course we didn't fit in the usual size taxi. Fortunately for us a "gypsy" cab driver had a red pickup truck and was eager to take us to our hotel for 400 bhat (around $12) A bit pricey but cheaper than two taxis and he was great.





After we checked in I headed out to Chinatown to do my Bangkok shopping.

My route passes Fort Phra Athit on the Chao Phraya River. It was built in the reign of King Rama I on the city's outer wall, which ran along the canal to the River. At first, 14 forts were built, but in time they became dilapidated. Eventually, all were demolished, with the exception of this and one other fort. Recently this area were the Fort stands has been open to the public as a public park. Its popular on weekend and as a backdrop to wedding photos.







The across the river boat.






Okay...okay. Its the last banana split photo. But the shop is just down the street from my hotel.

One of the many alleyways on our street.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home